Hi Rob,
”This question, I think must be answered before all others, and I fear that right now, this is the weakest. Administration’s approach seems to want to leave much room for the individual content areas to develop their own assessments and criteria for student contributions."
"I think it's excellent that you are being allowed to develop your own assessments and criteria for student contributions."
The core of the Partnership for 21st Century Framework is "to help practitioners integrate skills into the teaching of core academic subjects; The Partnership has developed a unified, collective vision for learning." P21 Framework (p. 1).
"The framework describes the skills, knowledge, and expertise students must master to succeed in work and life; it is a blend of content, knowledge, specific skills, expertise and literacies" P21 Framework Definitions (p.1).
Click on the 21st Century Link and you will see exactly what you are working with. The 21st Century Framework also provides curricular instruction. "You are offered a host of skills that students should learn and an assortment of tools by which to assess student learning, and suggestions as to how to design an innovative curriculum (link below). As you've stated above, there is "much room for the individual content areas to develop their own assessments and criteria for student contributions."
The five categories noted below cannot do justice to the comprehensive definitions/guidelines listed on the website. The categories below represent the overall design framework for Partnership for 21st Century Skills:
1) Information Literacy
2) Visual Literacy
3) Media Literacy
4) Multicultural Literacy
5) Technology Literacy
The links that I have provided for you will give you further insight as to the depth of each category.
Aretia
Retrieved October 4, 2011 from the website: http://www.p21.org/documents/P21_Framework_Definitions.pdf
http://www.p21.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=352&Itemid=120
Aretia, I will definitely have to spend some time mulling this over - thank you very much for sharing such a great resource. I will certainly share this with my administration. This will, I think, help strengthen the framework for the assessment.
ReplyDelete